Sometimes I make mistakes. Quite often actually! This was one of them. I can’t remember what I intended to order but somehow I ended up with a Bougainvillea. I did check the order and I did order it. Until it arrived I knew nothing about this species. I soon discovered it had thorns and isn’t hardy. But, to give it a chance, I procured a nice ceramic container and plopped it in. It did flower nicely in its first year. I removed it to the (heated) greenhouse for the winter and, in the late spring, brought it back out, tenderly pruned it into shape and was rewarded with about four bracts (the bits you notice aren’t flowers, of course).
Undeterred, I again cosseted it through the winter. This year it rewarded me with two bracts. If it flowers next year it will be in the heavens (sorry for the pun), its place taken by an Ilex aquifoleum Ingramii. I don’t have room for Alpacas but do have some long plant labels.